Pellegrino Santucci (1921-2010)
Pellegrino Maria Santucci (1921-2010) entered the order of the Servants of Mary at the age of twelve, where he learned the first rudiments of music, immediately revealing a marked aptitude for composition. He completed his education by attending the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome (where he was transferred for theological studies and where he was ordained priest in 1944) and graduating in Composition at the Pesaro Conservatoire in 1949. In 1947 he was appointed director of the Cappella Musicale of S. Maria dei Servi in Bologna which, under his guidance, was to become a musical centre of unmatched artistic and popularizing activity, consisting in an impressive number of concerts, competitions, conferences, and the construction of a grandiose mechanical organ, on which the greatest organists in the world would perform. Santucci was a dynamic and prolific composer and writer, leaving an extraordinary number of sacred and liturgical compositions for various types of musical groups, as well as musicological publications and essays. All his artistic activity featured, also in the innovation of his personal writing, a continuous struggle to safeguard the immense artistic heritage of the sacred tradition, from the much loved Gregorian chant to the works of the great composers of the past.
Santucci, Pellegrino - Works for Harp [HS 284]